|Julkaisija||Praeger Publishers Inc|
1 / 1
Adolescent Psychology in Today's World [3 volumes]
- Lapsipsykologia, Sosiologia
This groundbreaking three-volume set spotlights how conditions around the world are affecting the healthy development of adolescents in their respective environments, on all six continents.
Continually unstable or perpetually poor economic conditions, globalization, and rapid technological change are just three of the forces affecting a group 1.2 billion strong today, a demographic poised to become our world leaders and catalysts in the not-too-distant future: the world's adolescents. Led by two editors who have been dedicated to studying adolescent development worldwide for decades, this novel collection of works from contributors in more than 40 countries emphasizes how possibilities for healthy mental and physical development are affected by the difficulties youths face in their countries and how these challenges have shaped, and are shaping, contemporary teenage life today.
The set comprehensively addresses issues for adolescents across the globe, such as the day-to-day challenges of poverty, inadequate education, violence or war, disease, reproductive matters, globalization and technological challenges, and more, while also providing a strengths-based focus in the volumes, showing how and why some teenagers in each country have surmounted the challenges and forged stronger characters to better their worlds. These stories document more than personal victories, and their experiences matter to far more than the adolescents themselves. In its State of the World's Children 2011 report, UNICEF noted that the world community needs to turn its attention to adolescents in need, explaining that focusing on this large and potentially powerful group makes economic sense as well as being a necessary step in working towards achieving human justice. By addressing the risks, challenges, and strengths of teenagers as a group in countries worldwide, this work serves to break the cycle of poverty, violence, discrimination, and death for adolescents.
- Offers a holistic range of topics and breadth of perspectives by addressing the risks, challenges, and strengths of teenagers as a group in countries worldwide
- Features contributions from scholars who are from—or have extensive on-the-ground experience in—the country of focus, paired with a second author shaping the chapter for an English-speaking readership
- Includes an extensive bibliography addressing the study of teen psychology in each country presented and within the larger region
- Provides a glossary of key terms of positive development as well as other important ideas central to this set