|Laji||Yhteiskunta ja politiikka Seksi ja ihmissuhteet Sukututkimus Valtiotiede|
1 / 1
LGBTQ Americans in the U.S. Political System [2 volumes]
- Yhteiskunta ja politiikka, Seksi ja ihmissuhteet, Sukututkimus, Valtiotiede
This comprehensive sourcebook covers the evolution of LGBTQ engagement in American politics, from the emergence of gay rights as a political issue in the early 1970s to the present day, when LGBTQ issues occupy a prominent place in politics.
This work provides a broad and authoritative survey of the ways in which gay Americans are influencing the tenor and trajectory of U.S. politics at the local, state, and national levels. An encyclopedic section offers thorough coverage of all of the individuals, organizations, cultural forces, political issues, and legal decisions that have combined to elevate the role of LGBTQ people at the ballot box, on the campaign trail, in Washington, and in mayors' offices, city councils, and school boards across the country.
Complementing reference entries are in-depth essays on the rising prominence of gay Americans as voters, candidates, public officials, lawmakers, and opinion leaders, providing further context for understanding their impact on modern U.S. political processes and institutions from the perspective of liberals and conservatives alike. Finally, the set includes a collection of important primary source documents that illuminate landmark events, examine gay policy priorities and preferences, and showcase the beliefs and experiences of prominent LGBTQ Americans in the world of politics.
- Provides historical essays detailing the evolution of LGBTQ Americans in U.S. politics as voters, candidates, and officeholders
- Offers more than 250 reference entries of individuals, organizations, cultural forces, political issues, and legal decisions
- Presents primary documents of additional insight into major events, issues, and individuals associated with LGBTQ politics
- Features a chronology of events for at-a-glance coverage of the most important events in LGBTQ history
- Includes an appendix of LGBTQ organizations involved in politics